01 Apr The Modern Rules of Chauffeur Service in Singapore
Being a chauffeured car driver, you are earning at your own timeline and further get to keep a large part of the earning to yourself (if you are not driving your own vehicle). However, the hard truth is that Singapore doesn’t really need more drivers but more experienced ones. Guests depend on the chauffeurs with their lives, even if a drive lasts just about 10 minutes. Consequently, the Land Transportation Authority (LTA) has framed out a list of rules to meet the expectations and interests of commuters.
The basic thing about eligibility is having a valid 3/3A Class driving license for a minimum period of two years. You will have to send in an application costing $40 and this can be used even by self-employed drivers, only if you are a citizen. Non-Singaporeans first need to be employees of a chauffeur service in Singapore.
After this, all chauffeurs must pass a medical test. Applicants are further checked for past convictions in offences like kidnapping, murder or a rape. Such individuals are barred to get a license for the rest of their lives. Less serious criminals involved in cheating, burglary or theft are considered after they have been judged “reformed” by the state court.
Other requirements include:
- Ability to read, speak and write simple English
- A copy of your Certificate of Conduct along with your Employment Letter for the Work Pass
The application process:
All applications must be handed out in person at the LTA office. The application form should be accompanied by:
- Recent passport sized photograph
- A non-refundable cheque of $40
- Duplicates of Class 3 license (both front and the back page) and your NRIC
- If you are a permanent resident of Singapore, you should submit a copy of your employment letter as a Chauffeured Services Driver
- If you are a holder of Work Pass, the application should be enclosed with Employment Letter, Certificate of Conduct and the Work Pass duplicate
Car rentals in Singapore is minimum $50 per day and this is a great opportunity to get yourself self-employed and drive people around your city. You would easily be making a good profit out of the business. In case, you drive for a chauffeured service, you already know the returns. At the end of the day, being a chauffeur can be profitable. You just need to fit the profile.